Cantus Firmus Music was an independent publisher of Renaissance Music founded by the late Timothy Symons, who died of cancer in September 2022. During his career Tim produced many beautiful and scholarly editions of a diverse range of pieces under the umbrella of Cantus Firmus Music, informed by his knowledge acquired over many years as a performer and researcher. Dozens were recorded by eminent ensembles such as The Tallis Scholars and he produced brand new editions and wrote the liner notes for The Choir of Christ Church, Oxford’s acclaimed Eton Choirbook recording series. He was also active as a typesetter of contemporary music, producing orchestral parts for the premiere of Harrison Birtwistle’s The Minotaur, among many other works.
I had the pleasure of working alongside Tim during my time at Hereford Cathedral and he offered helpful advice in the early days of my editing career. With his editions, he has left a wonderful musical legacy and it is a great honour and privilege to republish his catalogue of editions here as digital downloads. I am especially grateful to Geraint Bowen and Rebecca Muldowney for their assistance in making these works available.
Browse by composer below or view the complete collection by clicking here.
- O clap your hands – SATB.SATB
- O Maria salvatoris mater – SATTTTBB
- Salve Regina I – SATBarB
- Salve Regina II – TTTBarB
- Stabat mater – SATTBarB
- Christe qui lux es et dies a5 – SATTB
- Domine secundum actum meum – SAATTB
- Miserere mei Deus – SATBarB
- O clap your hands – SAATB
- Evening Service “in medio chori” – SATTBarB
- Dum transisset I – SATTBarB
- Dum transisset II – SATTBarB
- Evening Service for Trebles – SATBarB
- I give you a new commandment – TTBarB
- In pace – SAAT or ATTB
- Libera nos I & II – SSAATTB
- O God the proud are risen – SSAATTBB
- O Lord, arise – SSAATBB
- Salve Regina a9 – SSATTTBarBB